Thursday, April 3, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 5 (Notetaking)

Evaluating notetaking apps feels like the grownup version of these notes.
Dragon Dictation - I was surprised how smoothly this worked. I was expecting it to be DYAC (BTW, colleagues, NSFW: "tasteless") for voice, but, when I spoke clearly, a bit more slowly than usual, and articulately, the app worked like a charm. Inserting proper punctuation can be a bit painful, especially if one does not know punctuation commands exist.

Remember the Milk - This seems like a good app for someone who needs extreme accountability for things like work projects and assignments. Contrary to its name, I didn't find this app to be as helpful as something like Grocery IQ for remembering to pick up milk.

Springpad - I like the idea of being able to make note of and compile an ongoing list of books, movies, etc., which helps me in my job capacity of reader/watcher advisory duties, but I found that if one already has a place that s/he has started collecting a gigantic list of have-read/-watched or to-read/-watch, the app functions more like "just another place" that a title on the tip of one's tongue might be. I like the functionality of a site and corresponding app like GoodReads for notetaking on books. (I haven't found its equivalent for movies, televisions shows, or music. My kingdom for that, by the way. Also, please note: I do not actually have a kingdom.) One of the features I like about Springpad is the ability to make a sort of all-purpose notebook that can be filled in with various things. For example, I can make a notebook of lists of potential gift ideas for special people in my life, but the format and functionality of Springpad seems much more limiting than something like Evernote.

*The suggested app Bamboo Paper was unavailable for my mobile device.

No comments:

Post a Comment