Thursday, April 17, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 6 (Creating & Editing Docs)

What's up, "docs"?
My actual question is more Seinfeldian, though.

What is up with these "docs" on mobile devices?
For this Thing, I tried out CloudOn, which, in theory, is a really great, really useful tool for creating, accessing, and editing some of the most commonly used types of "docs" -- word processing documents, spreadsheets, and slide presentations. I say "in theory" because if one has a large enough mobile device (hello, tablet users), this app is not going to be difficult to use and may even be a preferred way to work with "docs" (yes, the scare quotes will stay on needlessly shortened and abbreviated words like docs and my new pet peeve -- "convo"), but if one is working on, oh, say, the screen of an iPhone 4, this isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. For example, I still cannot tell if my file is saving at the time (slow connection and loading time), which makes me reluctant to do serious *work* work on this program. Also, it is a pain to type on a tiny iPhone keyboard with AutoCorrect trying to be helpful. I do like that the app is compatible with both Dropbox and Google Drive, both of which I use regularly.

I think part of the 23 Mobile Things experience is to get me to think beyond what I am used to. For example, when I did have a first-generation iPad, I also had the apps Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which I used, along with Dropbox, to create and edit documents for work. Admittedly, that system is not as efficient as something like CloudOn.

No comments:

Post a Comment