Thursday, April 24, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 8 (Social Media Management Tools)

I am very familiar with the Book of Face, and I am no stranger to linking in or twittering. I use the Facebook app (and its chat app counterpart) a lot to keep in touch with library school friends, to record travels, to share unsolicited (mostly political) opinions, to flirt and chat and converse with my sweet and handsome beau when I can't see him, and to post pictures of Zelda the cat (because, let's face it, the Internet is primarily for sharing cat pictures).
Social networking is an important part of many people's day-to-day lives, and, for some of our patrons (and maybe even some of our colleagues), it might be their go-to place, or only place, for news and information (and maybe even entertainment). Because the apps for Facebook and Twitter are so popular and so geared toward the mobile platforms, the formerly regularly-visited-in-browsers websites reflect that look.

One of the new (or, rather, new-to-me) social apps recently recommended to me by a fellow librarian friend is Saga, a "lifelogging" app. Saga tracks where you go and what you do and assigns you traits based upon your activities. (Think a friendly Big Brother that brags on you, or tattles on you (depending upon your perspective), to your friends.)

No comments:

Post a Comment