Thursday, April 17, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 7 (Content Saving & Sharing)

Confession: I have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest. My favorite active blogger in the whole universe, Jenny "The Bloggess" Lawson, was the person who introduced me to the twisted, hilarious side of Pinterest. I started a personal Pinterest account after being goaded by friends who got caught up in aspirational home and kitchen lifehack ideas, inspirational (or, often, gag-inducing) quotations, and arts 'n' crafts for people with way too much time and energy on their hands.

What happened? I went crazy: pinning all the things I wanted in my fabulous dream home that I will never, ever, ever be able to afford or maintain; pinning all the gourmet vegetarian things I wanted to eat but had zero intention of buying the expensive ingredients for and making; pinning all the places I want to go but am limited by my limited budget and my moderate social anxiety and my weird flying issues; etc. Then, I started seeing what other people were pinning -- trite and saccharine "inspirational" words written in "fancy" fonts imposed over stock photos of nature and ridiculously sculpted human bodies, tired jokes and cartoons, food crafts for kids, and all sorts of stuff that makes me cringe and hate the interwebs.

I lost interest in Pinterest.

So, I am trying again. I made a new bulletin board for Zelda, the adorable black-and-white demon-cat that lives with me, and I intend to pin all the things that remind me of her or that I would like for her. I have pinned exactly three things so far -- a treat-dispensing activity ball and two cute-looking collars that she would probably try to eat or destroy.

I have seen cool ideas from libraries' Pinterest sites -- book lists and read-alikes, fun bookish quotations, programming idea sharing. This is where I see that sustained spark in Pinterest and actually see practical applications for my daily (read "work") life. Another cool thing is being able to follow publishers and authors on Pinterest to get a better understanding of publishing trends and to have a lot more information to do better reader advisory.

Maybe I need to lose two hours creating library-related bulletin boards to help me in some of my job duties? Pin all the library/book/reading things!

No comments:

Post a Comment