Saturday, May 31, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 13 (Presentations)

I was really excited to try out Haiku Deck, even on my modest little iPhone 4, until I saw this in the introductory materials . . .
Coming soon? Well, this surely is disappointing for a non-iPad-owner. Why does an app for this exist for my iPhone to purchase if it's not fully-functional yet? Can someone in software development explain this one to me? Please?

Now, let's hit the Deck . . .

I used Deck to create a presentation. Considering I did this all on my almost-outdated iPhone 4, I thought it turned out pretty well -- I was able to type my points, add pictures, add charts, and I thought it looked pretty good and that I could proudly show it off here on my blog. Until I tried uploading it to SlideShare. After one failed attempt, I tried again five more times, using both the PowerPoint and PDF formats, and was unsuccessful in getting the presentation uploaded. Also, each time I went into my presentation after shutting down Deck, the photos I had selected for certain points were deleted, so I had to reinsert them each time. Super frustrating.

This is probably a great idea and a great app when it works, especially for busy professionals on the go who need to make and give and update presentations, but I found it to be especially frustrating in its non-working mode.
Seeing this allegedly-uploading-to-SlideShare screen was getting really old, really fast.

Sigh. On to the next thing . . . 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with these presentation apps was so frustrating. I hope that Haiku Deck will be available for your device soon; maybe that one will upload better than the other one! Great job keeping up with the Things, I enjoy reading these posts.

    Anita
    23 Mobile Things Coach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Anita. I've been enjoying trying out these apps and thinking of how they might be of use to me, to my colleagues, and to my patrons.

    ReplyDelete