Thursday, June 12, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 16 (Audio)

There are a lot of really neat apps out there for libraries able and willing to create audio content. Some examples of what libraries can do are regular podcasts highlighting library programs and resources and informing patrons about things they might otherwise miss. Libraries can create interactive book discussion and review features, showcase resources on a particular theme, demonstrate community members' and community leaders' support for the library in testimonials, and maybe even provide spaces -- real and or virtual -- for library users to share creative endeavors (poems, short works, reader review, etc.) with each other. Audio is a great feature because it can help to engage users who may be pre-literate or individuals who are visually impaired, and it can be a great stepping stone for people who are aural learners or prefer aural methods for conveying and receiving information to consider traditional and unconventional library services, resources, and programs in a new light.

Because I am a bit of a music hound, I am already very familiar with SoundCloud in my everyday life. It tends to be the spot I find really cool music. Also, the Poetry Foundation encouraged people to "Record-a-Poem" on SoundCloud as part of National Poetry Month 2014, and it resulted in the most romantic thing I have ever heard. Libraries can maybe help get the word out about things like Poetry Foundation's Record-a-Poem movement and engage and encourage patrons to participate.

Confession: I played with this, but I can't do it. I have a face for radio and a voice for silent movies. I tried recording myself, heard my own voice, and couldn't bear to share it.














But I will happily share my all-time favorite reading of my all-time favorite poem as recorded by my all-time favorite man. (Forgive me, love of my life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment