Sunday, June 15, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 20 (Games)

I am a little (okay, very) ashamed about my games use on my smart phone. My brother got me hooked on Candy Crush Saga (please don't judge me), and I am on level 183, trying to get three stars at each level (again, stop with the judging). I cannot justify recommending this app to anyone as it is a huge time waster, will make you lose respect for yourself and the family and friends who also play it, and offers little to no actual mental stimulation or educational value.

I will, however, recommend the Headspin: Storybook app for children's librarians, parents, and people who genuinely enjoy beautiful, popup book-influenced art. Storybook does offer some spatial relations/recognition skills stimulation, but it's also simply a gorgeous app.
In the game, one is trying to look for asymmetry. It's in the details, so it can be surprisingly challenging. One has to have a good sense of the picture as a whole and of the individual parts composing the picture. It's a fun way to combine the aesthetics of a popup book with touchscreen technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment